[Monotone-devel] Re: Cherry-Picking, Renames, Etc.

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Cherry-Picking, Renames, Etc.
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:28:37 -0500

Oren Ben-Kiki wrote:

At any rate, we spent some time thinking about it, and I came up with the following insight:

    If you have a good 3-way merge, you can "cherry-pick" *anything*.

yeah. this is what we all seem to be settling on (and afaik already have a command to sort-of do.. more soon). we all agree this is a workable idea in theory. we have to give it a shot in practise before getting too happy about it though :)

Most files in a version control system are source files. And source files have comments. And it is trivial to say that, if a file contains the pattern, say, address@hidden&*, then it has the unique id "alphabet-soup". And given a small utility that generates these strings, it is easy to embed a UID in new source files.

this is how "arch tags" work in arch. it seems like some people like them and some don't. personally I'm not a big fan, but they do address part of the issue (of course they're no help in other degenerate cases like "two files have the same tag" or "file got split into two", but no concept of "file identity" works then)

Plan B is keeping, "near" the source file, a file saying which UID it has. This uid file should be in the same directory as the source file (either a ".monotone.uids" file, or .monotone/<file-name>.uid, or

yeah, this is one of the other arch "tagging methods" to keep track of files. again, I'm not a big fan, but it also works. arch, being flexible and all, provides you several ways of identifying files. I understand why they do it, I just don't think the trade is worth the cost in conceptual complexity.

<philosophy>
a lot of this is just trading conceptual simplicity for features. my work on monotone comes down on the side of simplicity somewhat more often than some people want, but it's *usually* intentional. in any case, it's good to talk things over to make sure.
</philosophy>

-graydon