Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Cherry-Picking, Renames, Etc.

From: Joel Rosdahl
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Cherry-Picking, Renames, Etc.
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:07:50 +0100

Oren Ben-Kiki <address@hidden> writes:

> On Monday 29 November 2004 19:40, graydon hoare wrote:
>> njs is making reference to the fact that there is a "new" update
>> algorithm which takes arguments ("monotone update $foo")...
>
> And:
>
> On Monday 29 November 2004 19:48, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>> Hmm, the doc won't help you, since this behavior is brand new and
>> possibly undocumented (?).  The doc is describing the behavior of
>> update when you don't give an argument,

(It's documented briefly, but not in the official 0.15 manual at
http://venge.net/monotone/ which Oren probably is reading.)

> Ah. I see. Question: does the new update allow me to specify the
> target, as well as the base revision? That is, given:
>
>   A --> B --> C --> D
>     \-> E -> working set
>
> Can I "monotone update $B $C"? Update has its own ideas about the
> target revision, which seem inappropriate here.

No, the "new" update only takes one (optional) argument (the new
working copy base). The current update command is not meant to be used
for cherrypicking, but you can (ab)use it like this to cherrypick B
--> C into a working copy based off E:

    monotone checkout C wc
    cd wc
    echo B >MT/revision
    monotone update E

I think Nathaniel had something like that in mind.

If there are any file adds/renames/drops in B --> C, the hacky method
above won't work. A proper cherrypick command would of course be
smarter.

And, BTW, we're talking about functionality in revisions not existing
in Graydon's database at off.net; I think he hasn't endorsed them yet.
You can pull the net.venge.monotone collection from joel.rosdahl.net
(server key at http://joel.rosdahl.net/monotone.key) and check out the
branch net.venge.monotone.changesets if you're interested.

        Joel

--
Joel Rosdahl <address@hidden>
Key BB845E97; fingerprint 9F4B D780 6EF4 5700 778D  8B22 0064 F9FF BB84 5E97