Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Cherry-Picking, Renames, Etc.

From: Oren Ben-Kiki
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Cherry-Picking, Renames, Etc.
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:24:08 +0200

On Monday 29 November 2004 22:07, Joel Rosdahl wrote:
> >   A --> B --> C --> D
> >     \-> E -> working set
> >
> > Can I "monotone update $B $C"? Update has its own ideas about the
> > target revision, which seem inappropriate here.
>
> No, the "new" update only takes one (optional) argument (the new
> working copy base). The current update command is not meant to be
> used for cherrypicking, but you can (ab)use it like this to
> cherrypick B --> C into a working copy based off E:
>
>     monotone checkout C wc
>     cd wc
>     echo B >MT/revision
>     monotone update E
>
> I think Nathaniel had something like that in mind.

Thanks; that explains things. "Where there's a will there's a way" :-)

> If there are any file adds/renames/drops in B --> C, the hacky method
> above won't work. A proper cherrypick command would of course be
> smarter.

Right; it will have to take two arguments - "monotone patch from to". Or
something.

> And, BTW, we're talking about functionality in revisions not existing
> in Graydon's database at off.net; I think he hasn't endorsed them
> yet. You can pull the net.venge.monotone collection from
> joel.rosdahl.net (server key at http://joel.rosdahl.net/monotone.key)
> and check out the branch net.venge.monotone.changesets if you're
> interested.

I _finally_ got libboost to compile in a way that doesn't give the
dreaded ctype_b link error - I don't know how, exactly, and at this
point I don't care much. I'll start pulling down versions from all over
the place and having fun with them. Maybe even write a small perl
monotone-guess script... Then again, I really got to finish the release
candidate YAML spec draft. "So much time, so little to do" ;-)

Have fun,

 Oren Ben-Kiki