Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Keyword substitution?

From: Todd A. Jacobs
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Keyword substitution?
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 22:31:52 -0700

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 06:55:42PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:

Under what circumstances would you have a naked file like that?
Wouldn't the usual case be a tree of files, which could presumably
contain the MT directory?  Or a tree somehow exported, which could
include revision information (once it was decided what would be useful
to include)?

Mostly under the exported scenario. Web pages, scripts, articles, FAQs, etc. are often kept under version control, but are "passed around" outside of the VCS.

And if you did have a naked file, why would it be useful to determine
exactly where it came from?  What are you going to do, that knowing
that would help?

While currently offline due to a hard drive failure, I keep a large archive of shell scripts available via a web interface for people to download. The scripts are maintained under version control, but are not intended to be collected or distributed as a tree; people download and use the ones they like.

I often get patches sent to me. Without being able to identify what revision they were based off of, I can't simply merge them on a "bugfix branch." I'd have to merge them against the head, which isn't always the right thing to do.

Granted, this is only an example based on how *I* typically use VCS, but I think the issue of identifying revisions for branch merging of external (e.g. non-monotone) patches is universal enough to warrant attention.

I suspect it's just as likely that you'd have some file (a script or
bit of config or something) that came from some revision but had
(possibly) been changed a little.  You'd want to know where it came
from to know how it had been changed, and perhaps how it had been
revised in the repository.  And in that case searching for its hash
would likely be a waste of time, because it's probably been changed.
Having a keyword of some kind might help, in that case.

Yes, that's exactly it. :) And of course, in a widely-distributed monotone group, some people may or may not be tracking various branches so being able to tell which repository a particular file came from would be helpful, too.

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g