Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:00:35 -0700

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 10:47:22AM -0700, Justin Patrin wrote:
> However you can specify certain branches to serve (on the server side)
> and certain branches to pull on the client side. If you set up 1 of 2
> branches for serving but have propagated from one to the other will
> the server still send the revisions from the "unserved" branch even
> though it's explicitly denied?

Yes.  It won't send the whole branch, and it won't send the branch
certs, but it will send the actual revisions.  The rule is that if you
give someone access to revision R, then you're also giving them access
to all of R's ancestors.

This seems like it might not be quite optimal, and people have
complained, but then I don't know of any VCS that given a branch A ->
B -> C let's you grant permission on A and C but not B... in any case,
we don't know how to do better, so the desirability of doing better is
a little moot :-).

"...All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model
for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could
probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."

This email may be read aloud.