Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.22

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.22
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:34:32 -0700

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 08:34:24AM +0100, Daniel THOMPSON wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 14:05 +1200, Matthew Gregan wrote:
> > We shouldn't be able to end up in a situation where the .mt-attrs file
> > has records in it for files that don't exist in that revision...
> > perhaps there is not enough sanity checking being done on the .mt-attrs
> > file.
>
> If anyone attempts to perform stronger error checking on .mt-attrs then
> please remember that this file is used not only to manage the execute
> bit but also to create empty directories when using a 'broken' build
> system that requires empty directories to exist.
>
> Since it bolts straight into lua it can be used for a whole bunch of
> other weird and confusing things as well.

In the .rewrites.change_set branch that graydon's been working on,
there is currently both empty directory support, and attributes moved
from .mt-attrs into manifests/changesets.  This branch doesn't even
_work_ yet, but it is a hint at how things will likely end up :-).

This means that ATM you won't be able to put attributes on things that
don't exist, but OTOH you won't need them for this particular hack.
Did you have any other hacks in mind that this would break?

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco