Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: recent sunpro changes

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: recent sunpro changes
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:02:30 -0700

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 01:01:29PM +0200, Patrick Mauritz wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 12:21, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > Some questions about the recent changes to support SunPro:
> >   - why remove lots of files from m4/?
> because "autoreconf -i" installed other versions of them. imho either
> the repo should contain all (incl. configure and Makefile.in) or no
> generated/copied files. (personal preference for the latter)
> I'm not sure if I got all of them (I'm quite sure I didn't), and I'll
> look at this again after I know which way to go.

Ah, makes sense.  I'm not sure why it would do that, or how we would
have missed it for so long -- I guess your autoreconf was just weird
:-).  Well, umm, it still seems to build, so no problem, I guess.

> >   - is -Wall disabled by default, now?  If so, please re-enable it?
> I'll make a test and re-add it. do you want -Wshadow, too? (not enabled
> by -Wall, I think)

Hrm, maybe.  Does it give piles of spurious warnings on
  Foo::Foo(int x, Blah y) : x(x), y(y) {}
?

> >   - MM(): __func__ is the ISO standard equivalent to
> >     __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ (but worse, so we should prefer
> >     __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ when available).  I don't know if there's any
> >     way to make it work without typeof(), though?
> there are some hacks to make a typeof() with msvc, maybe there are some
> for sunpro, too.. for the time being, maybe just printing __func__ is
> the way to go?
> I hesitated to do this by default because the semantics of MM() confused
> me, it's a very complex piece of magic

Yeah, sorry about that :-).

- Don't let your informants burn anything.
- Don't grow old.
- Be good grad students.
  -- advice of Murray B. Emeneau on the occasion of his 100th birthday