Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defc

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defcd6b0d889edcff0bb0fe6180a376
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:27:27 -0700

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 05:18:29AM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> monotone>     (ALIAS(import,setup)): Add setup alias.
>
> I violently disagree with that particular detail.  To me, importing is
> something very different from setting up a directory for use as a work
> directory.

Mm.  The problem is that the "setup" command's actual functionality is
much more like importing than like setting up a directory for use as a
work directory.

In paricular, the problem is that people keep thinking that if they
want to start working on an existing project, they should do "setup;
checkout".

It would be handy to have a "import" command that did the equivalent
of "setup && add .".  It would also be good to have another name for
"setup"; it keeps tripping people up and screwing up usability.
"new_project"?  "create_project"?

Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic
realm. It is soaked with the blood of poets, theologians, philosophers,
philologists, psychologists, biologists and neurologists, along with
whatever blood can be got out of grammarians. - Russ Rymer