Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defc

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defcd6b0d889edcff0bb0fe6180a376
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 04:33:25 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:55:53 -0500, Chad Walstrom
<address@hidden> said:

chewie> I actually found it quite refreshing to simply go to an
chewie> existing project directory, type "monotone -d $DATABASE
chewie> setup", "monotone ls unknown|xargs -r monotone add", and
chewie> "monotone -b BRANCH commit".

I'm not arguing against that.  I've done that very thing myself.

chewie> I think by "most of the world", you mean "CVS-users of the
chewie> world".

True.  That still translate to "most of the OSS world", which is what
I really meant...  My mistake.

Also, I'm not really arguing that monotone should have an import
command.  I'm arguing that IF monotone is to have an import command,
THEN it should have a behavior of repeatable importer (and that's
among the few things I like with CVS, so that's where I'm modeling
it).  Since monotone currently doesn't have an import command, I'm
perfectly satisfied (heh :-)) with contrib/monotone-import.pl.

chewie> It maybe a few steps, but it's not rocket science.  If you
chewie> really want to mirror the "import" step, add the "vendor tag"
chewie> and "release tag".

vendor tag = branch
release tag = tag

As you said, no rocket science.