Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569

From: ml-monotone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defcd6b0d889edcff0bb0fe6180a376
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:40:45 +0200 (CEST)

On  1 Sep, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Thu,
> 1 Sep 2005 08:46:25 +0200 (CEST), address@hidden
> said:
>
> ml-monotone> To make this changes effective on main branch however,
> ml-monotone> one has to merge explicitly with the vendor branch
> AFAIR.
>
> 'cvs import' does a merge into the main trunk by default, unless it
> finds a conflict.  That's when it tells you to do a merging update,
> solve the conflicts and commit.

Hmmm ... I may as well remember wrongly, because I did not use CVS for
a long time. But I remember, that every import like e.g.:

  cvs import -m "comment" test VENDOR_1 REL_1

will normally goes onto a branch like 1.1.1.x as default. That is what
I call the "vendor branch". If I checkout, modify and checkin a
source, it would automatically goes onto 1.x - the main trunk.

Another import would again goes onto 1.1.1.x. Your are right insofar
as a checkout will fetch the last version of the vendor branch if no
version on the main trunk exists. But if one version exists, that file
would be taken from there and not from the vendor branch AFAIK. If I
want to get the newest imported modifications of a file I modified on
my own, I have to issue an "update -j", haven't I?

So that was what I meant with "explicitly merging".

But as I said, perhaps my memories are faulty here ... sorry in that
case.

Ciao,
Clemens.

--
Clemens Hintze  mailto: c.hintze (at) gmx.net