Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defc

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defcd6b0d889edcff0bb0fe6180a376
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:09:12 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:27:27 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 05:18:29AM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
wrote:
njs> > monotone>        (ALIAS(import,setup)): Add setup alias.
njs> >
njs> > I violently disagree with that particular detail.  To me, importing is
njs> > something very different from setting up a directory for use as a work
njs> > directory.
njs>
njs> Mm.  The problem is that the "setup" command's actual
njs> functionality is much more like importing than like setting up a
njs> directory for use as a work directory.

Really?  I don't agree, but maybe it's old 'cvs import' fostering that
affects me.  As far as I can tell, 'setup' is there to create new
projects, while (in my opinion) import should import a new snapshot of
something to a potentially existing branch, taking into account things
like files that have disappeared since last snapshot (and should
therefore be dropped).  See contrib/monotone-import.pl.

njs> In paricular, the problem is that people keep thinking that if
njs> they want to start working on an existing project, they should do
njs> "setup; checkout".

Huh???  Why do people think they should setup for an existing project?
I'm a bit baffled here.  And I'm a bit baffled that I haven't heard of
similar problems with other SCMs with similar functionality...

njs> It would be handy to have a "import" command that did the
njs> equivalent of "setup && add .".

As already pointed out above, 'add .' isn't enough.

njs> It would also be good to have another name for "setup"; it keeps
njs> tripping people up and screwing up usability.  "new_project"?
njs> "create_project"?

I like "create_project".

Cheers,
Richard