Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defc

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] Revision c6569e455defcd6b0d889edcff0bb0fe6180a376
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:16:32 -0500

Chad Walstrom wrote:
Richard Levitte wrote:

OK, that's an opinion. I still maintain that a command the just adds a MT directory with contents to the designated directory will confuse most of the world (and particularly those who went in CVS school, which should be quite a lot of people).

I actually found it quite refreshing to simply go to an existing project directory, type "monotone -d $DATABASE setup", "monotone ls unknown|xargs -r monotone add", and "monotone -b BRANCH commit".

You can do the xargs thing like this as well:
   monotone ls unknown | monotone add address@hidden

Also you may want to drop deleted files:
   monotone ls missing | monotone drop address@hidden

In other news, I think monotone makes a lot of sense the way it is right now (setup, ls unknown, ls missing...). I don't see the need for a new command that simply bundles old perfectly fine commands.

I think by "most of the world", you mean "CVS-users of the world". Most people of the world would walk through the tutorial to find out how to use the tool and realize that there are multiple steps. Most people of the world would probably compare the tutorials of a couple SCM's and realize that most of them use a multiple-step process to "import" new source.

I agree. It's not a bad thing to make people learn something new. As long as it is well documented (and monotone is) not too many people should have a problem with it. Either way, no matter what is decided, someone will have a problem with it.

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Matt-Land.com