Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple private keys in 0.24

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Multiple private keys in 0.24
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:04:47 -0800

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:55:17AM +0000, Daniel THOMPSON wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 01:03 +0000, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> > It seems a bit overcomplex, though; what's the rationale for wanting
> > to call different keys by the same name anyway?  Is it just the
> > limited namespace for keys (a restricted form of email address), or is
> > it just the upgrade issue?
>
> Assuming one works on multiple projects (e.g. monotone and coLinux) then
> having separate keys with the same e-mail address does make sense to
> some degree. For example if the private key for one project is
> compromised then only that project needs to go to the trouble of
> revoking the key (and reviewing all changes signed with that key).

Maybe, if we're talking about an ideal world.  Don't do this now!  You
will just make yourself unhappy!

As a workaround, in a lot of cases you can use + addresses.  Like, I
could have a key address@hidden and a key
address@hidden, and due to some magic built into most SMTP
setups, both addresses are actually valid and will reach me.

.i dei jitfa fanmo xatra