Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone revert

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone revert
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:33:22 -0800

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 08:24:18AM -0300, Alex Queiroz wrote:
>      'Monotone revert' without arguments reverts the whole directory.
> Isn't that dangerous? I like the subversion way that requires an
> explict dot: 'subversion revert .'. What do you think?

So, we had a bunch of discussion of this on IRC.  (No log, the log bot
is down.)  I wrote up the main points:
  http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/RevertUI

Comments would be appreciated.  In particular, what do people think of
having:
  * 'revert foo/bar.txt' -> works as now
  * 'revert --all' -> works like current 'revert'
  * 'revert' -> error?

The down side is that it makes revert somewhat inconsistent with all
the other restriction-taking commands ("diff", "status", "commit", "ls
unknown/ignored/missing").  The upside is that it can prevent mistakes
(there is more discussion of exactly why this might be useful on that
wiki page).

So the question seems to be what actual users would prefer... comments
please!

IBM manual SENG-5155-01:  Power Supply and Air Moving Device Installation
Instruction for iSeries 820 and 5075.