Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone revert

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone revert
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:33:02 -0800

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 10:33:56PM -0800, Justin Patrin wrote:
> Ah. I was under the impression form the OP that it would only work on
> the CWD, not the entire checkout.

Naw... the current rule for all monotone commands is that "foo"
operates on the entire tree, and "foo ." operates on the current CWD.
There's a discussion of this way back in the archives when support for
working on only part of the tree was first added; basically the
reasoning was
  -- in CVS working on dirs/files is natural because those are all you
     have; in monotone working on the whole tree is more fundamental.
     (I made this argument; I don't know if anyone found it
     particularly convincing :-).)
  -- both whole-tree and CWD-restricted forms should be convenient;
     this way they are like "diff" and "diff .", respectively.  If
     "diff" meant restrict to CWD, then we'd need some sort of special
     case syntax to mean whole-tree diff...

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould