Re: [Monotone-devel] Command aliases and removing command expansion from

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Command aliases and removing command expansion from monotone
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:39:34 -0800

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 10:59:34PM -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> > For example, while "commi" will expand to "commit" today, it will
> > fail to do so tomorrow when we add the much requested "commissar"
> > appointment feature to monotone.
>
> Then you get an error and learn that there's a new command available.
> That's not so terrible of a feature.  "Hey, look at me!" says
> commissar.

Fingers are also effectively a scripting environment; I think the
other _monotone_ developers would lynch us if we tried to make them
relearn "up" or "ci".  Never mind the actual user base :-).

Since you're such an avid user of the command expansions... can you
give more details on which ones you use?  If nothing else, it will
teach us more about how people actually use the tool... and "command
expansions get used in practice" is probably the most compelling
argument you could make for them anyway ;-).

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."