Interactive monotone (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Command aliases...)

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Interactive monotone (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Command aliases...)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:25:00 +0100

Daniel Carosone wrote:

but this makes me think of something else...  we currently have
"automate stdio", that lets a persistent monotone process keep db
startup and cache contents across individual automate commands..

what about a "monotone interactive" (or just plain monotone with no
command?) that drops the user at a monotone> prompt, takes lines of
input just as if they were in argv, and wraps readline and
tab-completion (for subcommands too) around it based on the current
expansion mechanism.
I like the idea... :)

So a typical workflow might go something like:

% monotone
monotone> status
monotone> list unknown
monotone> add --unknown
monotone> commit
monotone> pull
monotone> merge
monotone> sync
monotone> update
monotone> ^D

Many of these ops would tend to hit the same data in the db each time,
and it might make things a little snappier...

It's (perhaps sadly) not something that is easily provided by a
wrapper program and/or shell completion, because the whole point is to
keep the db open across operations.
Yes. I always wonder why monotone trashes the disk when doing "sync" with the main server... And also the "automate stdio" is missing a lot of commands to be really useful for this (the last time I checked it was really hard to modify the db using it).

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic