Re: [Monotone-devel] Command aliases and removing command expansion from

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Command aliases and removing command expansion from monotone
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:14:22 -0600

Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>  wrote:
> > Aliases, on the other hand, are explicitly defined.  This means
> > that they're less likely to change tomorrow, and that any change
> > that affected them is much more likely to be reflected in the
> > documentation and the monotone release notes.
>
> Command expansion is intended for

Um...  Not sure where I was going here.  Oh yeah!  Command expansion
is intended as a form of abbreviation.  This may clash with some
command names now and in the future, but if we're careful about the
command names we choose, this should be minimized.

If anything, aliases are useful to break-in CVS users to the Monotone
world, and they will continue to be useful.  Perhaps this is a lua
configurable feature to request: command aliasing.

Another point about scripting.  One shouldn't be using command aliases
or substrings in a script anyway.  This would be Bad Scripting(TM).
;-)

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/