Re: [Monotone-devel] i18n strings

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] i18n strings
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 03:54:02 -0700

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:34:26AM +0200, Thomas Keller wrote:
> I stumbled across two things which may have not been yet affected by the
> transition of monotone -> mtn:
>
> #: ui.cc:369
> #, c-format
> msgid ""
> "fatal: %s\n"
> "this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.\n"
> "please send this error message, the output of 'monotone --full-version',\n"
> "and a description of what you were doing to %s.\n"

Fixed.

> Secondly, this one (I'm not sure if this has to be changed as well, though):
>
> #: ui.cc:422
> msgid "monotone: "

Eh, I wondered, but really I think it makes sense to.  (Plus, more
horizontal space for messages!)  Also fixed.

> Furthermore, in
>
> #: vocab.cc:85
> #, c-format
> msgid "bad character '%c' in ace string '%s'"
>
> what does "ace string" mean? My dictionary didn't helped me with a
> reasonable translation...

Err... it means "ASCII compatible encoding", and is part of the minor
mess called IDNA:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalizing_Domain_Names_in_Applications
This message should probably be turned into something clearer, it
is probably not obvious to any native English speakers either.

I don't actually really understand IDNA either, so I can't suggest
one.  Maybe "domain names may not contain character '%c'" or
something?

Could you file this as a bug, so we don't forget it?

"...these, like all words, have single, decontextualized meanings: everyone
knows what each of these words means, everyone knows what constitutes an
instance of each of their referents.  Language is fixed.  Meaning is
certain.  Santa Claus comes down the chimney at midnight on December 24."
  -- The Language War, Robin Lakoff