[Monotone-devel] Re: Extensions to automation, again

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Extensions to automation, again
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:44:34 +0100

Alvaro Herrera <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Sombody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading
> that the storage format for deltas ("copy/insert") is not the same as
> the display format (unidiff).

True.

> So you need to convert the storage format to display format to
> calculate the byte length of each line, and then sum them all across
> all lines, and then sum all the sums across all deltas.

Huh?  Why?  If you've got a sequence of copies and inserts (presumably
each including the number of bytes to copy or insert) isn't it easy to
calculate the size of the result?  (And just as easy for text and
binary files.)  Not counting any conversions necessary (specifically
line-ending conversions), anyway.

[...]