Re: [Monotone-devel] Extensions to automation, again

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Extensions to automation, again
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:05:23 +0200

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
Monotone doesn't actually have any concept of "binary/non-binary".
What do you want this to return?  When you ask it for a textual diff
then it makes a guess at whether this is actually a good idea (using
some somewhat obscure and probably imperfect logic), but this is just
a heuristic that it applies on the fly.

Hrm I didn't know that, I thought there were different delta algorithms for text vs binary, but maybe I was mistaken there. I don't even know if there is a good algorithm to distinguish text from binary other than looking out for \0 (this would come into my mind, given the fact that utf-8 "text" could contain bytes of letters which probably wouldn't be recognized as such).

Have you seen my other mail regarding mtn:manual_merge? For this case I second Chad's request for "dead" attributes in the way of not being able to add or remove (or even see) those "internal" attributes of a file.

Thomas.

--
- "I know that I don't know." (Sokrates)
Guitone, a frontend for monotone: http://guitone.berlios.de