Re: [Monotone-devel] Extensions to automation, again

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Extensions to automation, again
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:03:00 +0200

Hi!

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 06:53:32PM +0200, Thomas Keller wrote:

a) there is no automate diff command

Easy enough to add.  (Patches accepted, as usual.)

Anyone likes to look over it? I may need some more refactoring, but the main pieces are done IMHO. Branch is net.venge.monotone.basic_io.content_diff - yeah, I know, the branch name is misleading (it has nothing to do with basic_io), but at that time the commit was already triggered and pushed... sorry for that. The only thing whats missing there are tests - I don't know if there are needed any, because all they can test is if the parameters are correctly parsed - the main diff building code is already heavily tested for mtn diff. Opinions?

automate get_file_by_path PATH [REVISION]

As mentioned, this is just a convenience (it can't be any faster than
calling get_manifest_of and then get_file, it would just do those
same steps internally anyway), but it does seem like a convenient sort
of convenience.  ("mtn cat" does the same thing as a user-exposed
API.)

So, is this accepted or not? If yes, I'd go and implement it.

automate get_file_size PATH [REVISION]
-> returns the size in Bytes of the file in that version in history

But, if we're going to commit the design and maintainence effort to
providing a fast get_file_size command going forward, then we need to
make sure that there are real use cases to justify that.  I'm not
totally convinced yet -- are users really running diff all the time on
giant files, and then getting confused when it takes a bit for the
"busy" indicator to clear and the diff to appear?

As someone else noted, it would also help the generation of tarballs and offer easier file downloads. For me personally I'd say it makes monotone just more "complete": if one looks on mtn as some kind of versioned filestore, its of course interesting to know other metadata about the file beside its name. One could also use this info for all kinds of nice statistical views (individual file growing over time, etc.)

(Regardless, the ability to display diffs is obviously useful even
without such warnings, so resolving this question isn't urgent until
there actually is a command to display diffs.)

I believe this has just arrived =)

Thomas.

--
- "I know that I don't know." (Sokrates)
Guitone, a frontend for monotone: http://guitone.berlios.de