Re: [Monotone-devel] auto updates

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] auto updates
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 00:10:25 -0500

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 21:49 -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 02:47:01PM -0300, Alex Queiroz wrote:
> >     Lua itself uses only ANSI C functions. The execute() call is a
> > function exported to Lua from the monotone code. Currently there is no
> > binding for a chdir function, although it'd be easy to add.
>
> No!  Monotone's whole code base assumes that its working directory is
> the root of the workspace; lua hooks don't get to violate basic
> process-wide invariants like that.
>
> The use case makes sense, but there really needs to be another way to
> do it.

(It might seem that the Lua objects that the c++ side of our hooks use
to call the actual lua functions could save the cwd on initialization,
and then restore it when destroyed. But it is possible for the hooks to
call back into monotone, so this wouldn't actually work.)

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net