Re: [Monotone-devel] auto updates

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] auto updates
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 02:11:12 -0600

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 00:36 -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> I don't know offhand if we have a spawn-in-background function exposed
> to hooks, though even if we don't, you could hack it by executing the
> shell and putting "&" at the end of your command line :-).

Oh, right, we do actually. spawn(program, ...) . We actually implement
execute(program, ...) with spawn() and wait(). However, I don't think we
have a way collect finished child processes; our only wait() function is
a blocking wait for that particular child (tester exposes a version of
wait that has a timeout, which could maybe be useful for something like
this, maybe we should make it available in monotone as well?). So while
you can spawn-in-background directly you'll probably end up with lots of
zombies, which IIRC is bad.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net