Re: [Monotone-devel] auto updates

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] auto updates
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 01:19:03 -0600

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 17:05 +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 04:58:22PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> > Mybe I am still confused, I would have though that pulling from a database
> > inside a hook that has been trigered by an update to that database would
> > cause lock contention.
>
> Yes, I think I might still be confused - I can't see how that would
> work, as the server appears to be only capable of processing one request
> at a time (unless I am badly mistaken). So while it is still processing
> the hook from the sync request, it cannot process a new request for the
> pull request. The result is deadlock, with the pull waiting for the
> server socket to become available, but this will never happen until the
> pull completes.

Yeah, the server is single-threaded, so you can't run the pull directly
from the hook.

What you can do is have the hook call a script that runs the pull in the
background, which lets the script (and the hook) return without having
to wait for the pull to finish.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net