[Monotone-devel] Re: Summit brainstorming

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Summit brainstorming
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 00:14:37 -0700

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

Check out git-cvsserver.pl, which exposes a read/write (!) interface
to a git repo through the pserver protocol...

It's not so horrible as it sounds because you get to use the sane,
non-CVS model internally; the semantics are reasonably
straightforward.  The painful part is implementing pserver, which is a
protocol defined more by the quirky implementations you must
interoperate with than by a solid spec.

You know, it's sort of sick but this could kill two birds with one stone. If we make a "--bind-cvs-pserver" option flag for "mtn serve" that multiplexes a pserver command interpreter into the usual sync stream, we'd have a cvs interoperability story *and* the ability to provide partial checkouts ("just use cvs").

I haven't read git-cvsserver.pl, but I'm imagining the semantics of checkin are just "pick a head and try appending the commit there, checking to see that all the files being committed are identical in the head, otherwise complaining"?

Heh, now that I think about it, that's pretty funny. I wonder if we ought to sit down at the sprint and try writing that, maybe cribbing code from git-cvsserver.pl.

-graydon