Re: [Monotone-devel] Summit brainstorming

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Summit brainstorming
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:35:26 +0200

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
> Length: this is perhaps the most important question.  How _long_
> should this thing be?

I'm for a weekend sprint (friday to sunday). Since I'm working fulltime
and having a young family and studying online, there is no way to get
off for more than two or three days.

> Timing: _When_ should this thing be?

Me personally would be happy with February next year, because I have
exams in January. Of course not the perfect weather, depressing season
and all, but if there are no near-time alternatives...

> Location: _Where_ should this thing be?

I'm happy with everything in Germany or something easily reachable in
Europe (Italy, Spain, Lapo??) - I'd prefer South Europe probably for the
better weather =) Of course I'd really like to get in contact with the
"cores", but neither are two days enough to fly there, nor do I have the
money for that.

> One more note: it appears we have a huge cluster of people in Germany
> (or relatively nearby), and especially people working on front-ends
> and integration stuff.  Just because we're trying to plan a big event
> with a few months lead time, doesn't mean you guys couldn't get on
> trains and hang out for a weekend sooner ;-).

This cluster is tremendous, indeed =) One needs to figure out though on
what project the sprint should be run, main monotone source or some
dependent front-end. I'm probably not much of a help to hack the
monotone source itself in this case. To be honest, I'd see the whole
event more like a get-in-contact with other fellows and not like the
excessive hackathlon (10hrs coding, ...). Of course there has to be an
outcome for such an event, but this should not spoil the fun.

Thomas.
--
- "I know that I don't know." (Sokrates)
Guitone, a frontend for monotone: http://guitone.berlios.de