Re: [Monotone-devel] Summit brainstorming

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Summit brainstorming
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:18:42 +0200

Hi,

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
Length: this is perhaps the most important question.  How _long_
should this thing be?

I'd be fine with 2-7 days. As it's a code sprint, I'd just take brakes as needed ;-)

Timing: _When_ should this thing be?  Playing around with
  farecompare.com, it looks like fares all go up in the summer (in
  fact, it can cost more right now to buy a ticket for July than for
  November, even though July has far more lead time).  November is
  probably too soon, though, and December has holidays... so I guess
  January/February is the time frame we should be looking at?  Is that
  possible for people?

January or February is just enough leap time to organize a little event.

Location: _Where_ should this thing be?  This is in some way the
  easiest question, because it doesn't matter too much... so long as
  we can find a space to work, ideally one with wifi and whiteboards.

I'd happily travel around most of europe, spending some 100 EUR max. Flying over the atlantic easily costs > 600 EUR, which is out of question for me for 'just a code sprint'.

I suspect it's similar for other people, so why not have three sprints: one in Europe, one in Australia and one in North America?

One more note: it appears we have a huge cluster of people in Germany
(or relatively nearby), and especially people working on front-ends
and integration stuff.  Just because we're trying to plan a big event
with a few months lead time, doesn't mean you guys couldn't get on
trains and hang out for a weekend sooner ;-).

I could organize something in Berlin or help organizing an event in Hannover, as Ulf proposed. (I'd obviously prefer Berlin, it's just such a special city ;-)

Regards

Markus