Re: pserver (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Summit brainstorming)

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: pserver (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Summit brainstorming)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 00:22:52 -0600

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 12:14:37AM -0700, Graydon Hoare wrote:
Nathaniel Smith wrote:

Check out git-cvsserver.pl, which exposes a read/write (!) interface
to a git repo through the pserver protocol...

It's not so horrible as it sounds because you get to use the sane,
non-CVS model internally; the semantics are reasonably
straightforward.  The painful part is implementing pserver, which is a
protocol defined more by the quirky implementations you must
interoperate with than by a solid spec.
You know, it's sort of sick but this could kill two birds with one stone. If we make a "--bind-cvs-pserver" option flag for "mtn serve" that multiplexes a pserver command interpreter into the usual sync stream, we'd have a cvs interoperability story *and* the ability to provide partial checkouts ("just use cvs").

This was, err, actually one of the vague motivations spurring me to
think about Chryn -- just because trying to implement multiplexing by
hand is hard enough, never mind trying to deal with two ports and
protocols at the same time :-).  But yeah, it would be an awesome
(albeit, well... tasteless) ability to have.

boost::asio (http://asio.sf.net to be included in the next version, probably coming out in may) handles this quite well.

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
matt-land.com