Re: [Monotone-devel] Summit brainstorming

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Summit brainstorming
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:52:25 +0100

Ethan Blanton schrieb:
> Christof Petig spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> - a cvs server process against a monotone database (if there's _any_
>> benefit)
>
> This is an interesting suggestion; I assume you mean a monotone
> "server" process which serves (perhaps read-only) to a generic cvs
> client?  We have discussed providing a tailor'd svn or cvs server for
> Gaim (should we switch to monotone) for this very purpose,
> particularly in light of the fact that monotone does not yet have
> partial pulls.  For my part, though, as long as the server is
> read-only, I'm not sure what a dedicated solution serves over the
> tailor solution.  If the server isn't read-only, I'm not sure what the
> semantics become...

I would rather complete partial pull for monotone than to start coding a
cvs server (or porting git-cvsserver). I have suffered from CVS protocol
variations on the client side enough for this life! ;-)

You have the (IMHO nicer) alternatives of
- bidirectional cvssync (once initial push is supported, for now you
have to start with the cvs repository)
- monotone<->git synching (which is _much_ more useful than a cvs server)

You would have to beat me into coding this (even if I said it was
possible for me)
   Christof