[Monotone-devel] Re: pserver (was Re: Re: Summit brainstorming)

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: pserver (was Re: Re: Summit brainstorming)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:52:27 -0800

Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:

boost::asio (http://asio.sf.net to be included in the next version, probably coming out in may) handles this quite well.

Yeah, we've seen asio and sort of considered it off and on for a while. I'm of mixed opinions on the matter:

  - On the one hand, it'd be nice to move to something with a bit more
    active maintainership than netxx.

  - On the other hand, asio looks a little rigid and possibly more
    confusing than the existing abstractions.

  - Finally, while it seems like an increasingly remote possibility,
    I've sometimes wanted to wean the project off of boost reliance. I
    think that desire is strongest the day after I've interacted with
    bjam, but even on good days I wonder if we could limp along with
    some custom filesystem code and the facilities present in C++ TR1.

-graydon