Re: [Monotone-devel] Summit brainstorming

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Summit brainstorming
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:35:42 +0200

Thomas Keller schrieb:
> Dirk Hillbrecht schrieb:
>>> Well, it says: "..and we might see whether I can host you.". So, Dirk,
>>> what does that include? Office rooms with WLAN? A place to sleep?
>> I can offer office rooms in the city center of Hannover (5 min by foot
>> from main station) with LAN (2 MBit/s in both directions)/WLAN and
>> enough place for about 10 people. However, our office facilities
>> themselves are not really sufficient for staying there over night. There
>> is a number of hotels around it, however, and I can check the price for
>> them.

Since I'm used to sharing 1MBit _A_DSL lines that much bandwidth looks
more than sufficient to me (we do not plan to download videos or join
several video conferences concurrently, do we?).

> That sounds all very nice. Now we just need to find out on what we want
> to actually hack. My favourites should be obvious (interfacing and
> guitone), but what about the other participants?

If I had three wishes free for a hacking event:
- partial pull (killer feature for OSS projects e.g. OpenEmbedded)
- monotone-viz on Win32 (I know well how to compile gtk+ programs for
windows, but OCaml is beyond my horizon)
- an UI for Win32 (guitone, mtsh (I have successfully compiled an exe
but it blocks on important features), or even a visual studio plugin
like http://ankhsvn.tigris.org/) - as an installer of course

What I might offer:
- finishing mtn_cvs
- bidirectional svn or git synching
- a cvs server process against a monotone database (if there's _any_
benefit)
- binarifying the sha1 sums in the database (they are stored in hex;
performance? space saving?)
- help on pretty any other feature (which I'm interested in)

    Christof