Re: [Monotone-devel] basic_io inventory

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] basic_io inventory
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:45:11 +0200

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 09:46:30AM +0200, Thomas Keller wrote:
b) Since we already have those data in place: I'd vote for including the old and new fileid in the stanzas (where applicable)... this saves additional calls to automate identify or automate get_manifest_of for the interface programmer.

Well, it should include what its consumers need, and you're a
consumer...

...why the heck do you need file ids? :-)  They're hardly a useful
thing to splat in a UI...

Oh, they are useful. I recently implemented a view in guitone to list "unaccounted renames", which tries to match unknown items in a workspace with missing ones, based on the fileid and name.

Now, in the current implementation I make a call to automate identify (which I implemented for this solely reason) - if the new inventory would already give them to me, I could save this part.

But again, I have no other strong vote for including these IDs other than "they're available and it doesn't make much more work to print them out with the rest of the stanzas".

Thomas.

--
ICQ: 85945241 | SIP: 1-747-027-0392 | http://www.thomaskeller.biz