[Monotone-devel] Re: Announce: DisTract - Distributed Bug Tracker based

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Announce: DisTract - Distributed Bug Tracker based on Monotone
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:26:47 +0100

Matthew Sackman <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Well a couple of points spring to mind. Firstly, I would expect that
> you'd have a seperate bug database per project rather than one huge
> centralised system. This could, if necessary, be further divided per
> branch or release cycle or so forth. So right there, that gets you
> some, hopefully significant, selection of bugs.

True enough.  In particular, I'd expect it to be reasonable to flush
closed bugs more often, so for each new release cycle, you'd only need
to keep around open bugs (and those that you're closing in that
cycle).  That would be significant in itself.

I'm not so sure about dividing by branch.  It's very common (in our
code, anyway) for the same bug to affect multiple branches (in our
case the trunk and one or more release branches).

That struck me as a possible issue with Bugs Everywhere, though
monotone provides a neat way to solve it (you commit the bug before
the branch, and use DaggyFixes).  That works provided you notice in
time, anyway; not sure what you do if you commit the bug and later
realise it actually applies to other branches.  (Or want to connect
together independently committed bugs from different branches which
are really the same bug.)

[...]