[Monotone-devel] Re: Announce: DisTract - Distributed Bug Tracker based

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Announce: DisTract - Distributed Bug Tracker based on Monotone
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:37:04 +0100

Matthew Sackman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 12:05:39PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:

[...]

>> I like your approach of using a branch separate from the
>> code---that feels cleaner than embedding the bugs directly with the
>> code (though there's an attraction to that).
>
> Indeed. But it's certainly early days right now, and I'm sure these
> decisions and features can be bashed out in detail in due course ;-)

Sure.  While a neat feature would be to be able to track which
branches bugs affect, Trac and Bugzilla don't do that (AFAIK), so it's
not too bad if a brand new system doesn't yet.

I must admit I'm not all that convinced that not using a conventional
database is right for bug/issue tracking.

A lot of the time when I'm using our bug systems (at work) I'm using
them in a databasey way: I want to do (basically) free text searching
of them, constrained by some properties (bug status, code version,
etc.).

I can imagine that being done from files in a practical way: just
stick Lucene (or CLucene, Pylucene, SQLite3 (with free text search),
etc.) on top.  We've only got O(50000) bugs in our database, so it
seems quite practical for all of us to have a copy (or more than one)
of the whole database (constructed from files).

However, I'm not really sure that would work better, except that it
would permit offline access---which is worth something, but I'm not
sure how much it's worth.