Re: [Monotone-devel] Packages for Debian testing

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Packages for Debian testing
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 20:21:38 +0200

Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:

> In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 5 Jul 2007 17:21:56 -0700, "Zack
> Weinberg" <address@hidden> said:
>
> zackw> > Ludovic Brenta is willing to sponsor someone else to maintain
> zackw> > the package, but not to maintain the package himself. It
> zackw> > sounds like he's hoping you'll adopt the package, and he'll
> zackw> > sponsor the upload for you.  If you'd like to adopt montone,
> zackw> > you have to prepare a package and send it to Ludovic for
> zackw> > proofreading and sponsorship.
> zackw>
> zackw> I suppose I'm willing to do that, but I'd prefer team
> zackw> maintenance with at least one other person; I am often
> zackw> unavailable.  How about you, Richard?
>
> Depends.  I have the resources to build i386 packages, and in the last
> few releases, I have built the packages for sid that are in the
> monotone.ca download area.  Building specifically for Debian and doing
> what else is necessary (I assume it will involve handling bug reports,
> or?) doesn't sound too consuming, and I do take time for monotone
> either way, so...

First, I confirm Shaun's assessment.  As I have said previously, I am
unwilling to maintain the package myself (I already maintain 18
packages, one of which is the Ada part of GCC).

Second, I would indeed encourage you, Richard and Zack, to co-maintain
the package.  That means, as a prerequisite, that I'd like you to
agree on merging your scripts, and on a long-term maintenance
strategy.

I will rebuild the package myself on my amd64 machine, and do some
minimal testing, before each upload.  Also I will proofread the build
scripts and changelog for each upload.  It is not necessary that you
have access to all of Debian's architectures.

Then I'll be happy to sponsor the package for the both of you, and for
the benefit of Debian and Monotone users.

--
Ludovic Brenta.