Re: Fwd: [Monotone-devel] Directory already exists?

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Monotone-devel] Directory already exists?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:19:36 -0500

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 05:11:42PM -0800, J Decker wrote:
> [...]

Yeah ...  monotone merges text files, and does not pay much attention to
whether the merged text file has the proper syntactic and semantic
structure for the language the text file is written in.  For the
languages monotone is usually used with, it usually works.

But for a data structure whose integrity is essential to monotone's
correct functioning (such as directories) just doind such a merge could
be catastrophic.  Even if it did something like what you specifuy, it
would probably take a while to figure out what correctness conditions
would have to be checked.  Easier to invite higher-level intervention;
possibly more reliable, too.

-- hendrik