[Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone server

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone server
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 11:12:23 +0200

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Now, my web host is not going to open a TCP port or allow a new server
> application on a shared host. Am I right to think that the SSH tunnel
> gets around these restrictions? If I can SSH, I can use monotone on the
> server, right?

"mtn serve" has the advantage to allow multiple users to sync
concurrently, but if your expected concurrency is low (not too many
developers) you can certainly sync with the "central server" using
sync-over-SSH, like this (taken from monotone info page):

  1. SSH URIs, of the form
     `ssh://address@hidden:PORT]/PATH/TO/DB.MTN',   to synchronize
     between private databases on hosts accessible only   through SSH.
     (These paths are absolute; to refer to a path relative   to a home
     directory, use   `ssh://HOST-PART/~/RELATIVE/PATH.MTN' or
     `ssh://HOST-PART/~USER/RELATIVE/PATH.MTN'.)

  2. File URIs, of the form   `file:/PATH/TO/DB.MTN', to synchronize
     between local databases.

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/

“ECC curves are divided into three groups, weak curves, inefficient
curves, and curves patented by Certicom” (Peter Gutmann, 2001-08-10)