Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-usher or usher-server and usher

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-usher or usher-server and usher
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 01:59:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 22:09:13 +0100, Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Hendrik Boom <address@hidden> writes:
>> I found an old message (http://www.mail-archive.com/monotone-
>> address@hidden/msg00100.html) mentioning an usher-server and an
>> usher for Debian.  At that time there was talk about getting these into
>> debian experimental, or into unstable or testing after the code freeze.
>>
>> Now these look like the recommended way to get usher to start at boot
>> and stay up.
>>
>> But I find no such package now.  Where is it, or its code, hiding out?
>
> Nowhere :(
>
> The package monotone-server automatically configures, and allows a
> single monotone server instance to start from /etc/init.d/monotone but
> TTBOMK nobody has packaged usher yet.  Sorry about that.
>
> If you would like to help, I can sponsor the package into Debian for
> you.

So what I would have to do is this:

If I can postpone getting usher working automatically for a while:

(precondition: I already have usher running by other means, but without
autostart on boot)

Get the package source for monotone.  Is that under revision-control
somewhere?

Find out how to compile packages and start messing with the source code
to monotone-server directly.

edit it to run usher instead of monotone.  This will likely require
changes to the names of files as well as to their contents.  I hope not
much more.

And debug it by repeatedly installing and uninstalling.

Then, if I have learned enough in the meantime, try to do the same for
usher.  This time, I'll probably not be able just to copy the package
source for monotone, though.

-- hendrik