Re: [Monotone-devel] status of release 1.1

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] status of release 1.1
Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 16:25:57 +0200

Markus Wanner schrieb:
> Thomas,
>
> thanks for testing!
>
> On 05/03/2014 01:39 AM, Thomas Keller wrote:
>> I'm on 10.9 (Mavericks) here. I had no recent enough mtn installation
>> around, so I had to copy sources and build from there.
>>
>> Things that I've stumbled upon  so far:
>>
>> * Don't use gcc from MacPorts to build, it will bring up weird linker
>>   errors (see my previous post from February), but stick to plain clang
>>   (which Apple advertises as gcc and g++ in the /usr/bin prefix)
>
> Just out of curiosity: What clang version is it?

Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40) (based on LLVM 3.4svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.1.0
Thread model: posix

>> * If gettext is not available, make (not make dist) fails with a
>>   cryptic
>>
>>   make[2]: Circular po/sv.gmo <- po/sv.gmo dependency dropped.
>>
>>   I guess this is because of Makefile.am's
>>
>>   po/%.gmo: $(srcdir)/po/%.gmo
>>         cp $< $@
>>
>>   which looks a bit fishy indeed.
>
> Hm.. that's a good hint! I'll check.
>
> `make -j$N` for any N bigger than 1 usually fails hanging at some txt2c
> step, here. Up to date, I couldn't figure why and started to suspect a
> bug in make. Maybe that's related. I see a small chance that's related...

I think this here is really just about a wrong rule in Makefile.am. It
survived for so long because most people already install needed
dependencies before letting out build system stumble upon it.

>> * make install failed for me, because mtn.1 seems to be deleted right
>>   after it was created, so it cannot be installed. So `make mtn.1` does
>>   create and delete the file, but when I execute the commands of that
>>   target in my own shell, mtn.1 persists. Weird, but a minor.
>
> Weird, indeed. Adding to my todo list: Makefile massage

Ok, thanks!
Thomas.