nano-devel

Re: RFC: pruning some syntaxes

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: RFC: pruning some syntaxes
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 16:38:44 -0600

On 19:19 Wed  8-Apr-2020, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Op 08-04-2020 om 14:42 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> > On 12:07 Wed  8-Apr-2020, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> >> So, I propose to add a subdirectory "extra/" to the syntax directory,
> >> and move some of the syntaxes there.
> >
> > The default nanorc should include a commented line to add all extra
> > syntaxes.
>
> The extra syntaxes will not be installed, so such a command would not
> work.

Why can't they be installed in /usr/share/nano/extras/? I use gentoo and
debian syntax files, and I'm sure others do as well. What is the point
of forcing users to hunt those files down from source when they can be
included in a different directory? That directory could also be used to
dump all less common syntaxes.

> >> Who uses Markdown and can contribute a syntax for it?
> > https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/807/how-to-enable-syntax-highlighting-for-markdown-files-in-gnu-nano
>
> It says it's "found around the net", so it's unclear what the license is,
> so we can't include that in nano. Also, it seems to have errors.

I don't know if I fixed those in mine and put them on single lines, but
a deeper search turned up nothing. There is a completely different
version at https://github.com/scopatz/nanorc/blob/master/markdown.nanorc
but no license that I could find.