nano-devel

Re: RFC: pruning some syntaxes

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: RFC: pruning some syntaxes
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 19:19:49 +0200

Op 09-04-2020 om 00:38 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> On 19:19 Wed  8-Apr-2020, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>> The extra syntaxes will not be installed, so such a command would not work.
>
> Why can't they be installed in /usr/share/nano/extras/? I use gentoo and
> debian syntax files, and I'm sure others do as well.

I think there will be very few people using the gentoo AND debian syntaxes
on one and the same machine.  Debian (or its derivatives) are widely used,
so that someone might want the debian.nanorc on a Gentoo machine, I can
still somewhat imagine.  But it makes no sense to install gentoo.nanorc on
a Debian machine, it is a pure waste of space.  It should not have been part
of the nano tarball in the first place but should have been maintained in
the nano ebuild at Gentoo.  The same for debian.nanorc.  Only spec.nanorc
is somewhat of an edge case, as spec files are used by several distros.

> What is the point of forcing users to hunt those files down from source when
> they can be included in a different directory?

I was thinking of adding an install-extra makefile target, to install
additional syntaxes.  But most people don't install from source, so that
wouldn't work, and distros would probably simply do 'install-extra all'...

Hm...  Okay, there is no escaping it: we have to install all syntaxes
that we ship in the tarball.  And all that we can do to not burden the
default install (that suggests to do 'include /usr/share/nano/*.nanorc')
with all syntaxes, is to push the less useful ones to a subdir.

The sample.nanorc will then just hint that this subdir is there, it will
/not/ suggest to include all syntaxes in that subdir.

> That directory could also be used to dump all less common syntaxes.

Which of the current syntaxes would you consider as less common and move
down to extra/?

Benno