Re: distributing Octave in August

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: distributing Octave in August
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:59:19 +0200

On 6/15/07, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 15-Jun-2007, address@hidden wrote:

| MSVC Octave on
| Windows does not return a prompt to Emacs, and thus does not work.
| (I would prefer the new MINGW32 binary, does that work? Where can I find
| it?)

I would not be surprised if both binaries have the same problem when
run from Emacs.

Probably yes, as Benjamin used the same readline library (patched). The
prompt not showing might be a buffer problem: MSVC-compiled octave does
not show a prompt when run within MSYS, although it works OK. I've noticed
the same behavior when using MSVC-compiled within MSYS: without explicitely
flushing stdout, it does nto work correctly. OTOH, I wonder if the
input-side would
work anyway within Emacs, as the readline library uses Win32 console API to
get input (this was needed as Win32 does not allow to "select" on pipes/ttys,
such that it was impossible to implement event hooks).

Michael.