Re: distributing Octave in August

From: poti
Subject: Re: distributing Octave in August
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:51:51 -0400

On 16:57 Fri 15 Jun     , John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 15-Jun-2007, address@hidden wrote:
>
> | > 5) Added the following line to my .octaverc:
> | >
> | > PS1(">> ");
> | >

> | If I can set this through an environment variable, it will solve my
> | problem. Working through a startup file will be a little more
> | complicated, unless Octave, like Emacs, has multiple levels of startup
> | files that have precedence over each other until you get to the last
> | level, in the user's home directory. Maybe I could cat something to
> | the end of a file, but One of the rules for the DVD is that it is not
> | to touch anything on the computer behind the scenes except for ordinary
> | temp files in places where such files are expected to live.
>
> It seems to me there must be some other solution since all this seems
> to be doing is setting the prompt to something that will be recognized
> by Emacs as a prompt.  And that is already supposed to be true (the
> default is "octave:NN> " and I think octave-inf.el sends commands to
> Octave to set it to "octave> ".  If that's not working, will someone
> please try to debug why it is failing?

The following is the progress I have made in debugging this problem so
far:
As of the following line, I have an apparently functioning inferior octave in
the buffer *Inferior Octave*:

comint-exec-1("Inferior Octave" "*Inferior Octave*" "octave" ("-i"
"--no-line-editing"))

The form comint-exex-1 completed and I exit to:

* inferior-octave-startup()
* inferior-octave(nil)
* apply(inferior-octave nil)
* run-octave(nil)
  call-interactively(run-octave)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

Stepping to

process-coding-system(#<process Inferior Octave>)

I still have an Inferior Octave window with prompt:
octave.exe:1>

I can type a command and get output:

octave.exe:1> argv
ans =

{
  [1,1] = -i
  [2,1] = --no-line-editing
}

octave.exe:2>

I start to have obvious problems at this point, a step or two forward:

* accept-process-output(#<process Inferior Octave>)
* inferior-octave-startup()
* inferior-octave(nil)
* apply(inferior-octave nil)
* run-octave(nil)
  call-interactively(run-octave)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

at this point, emacs has not crashed, but octave no longer
responds after:
octave.exe:2> argv

If I step forward one more step, Emacs freezes.

Possible complication issues: there is a stage earlier on that
tests for a readable directory at the path from which I launched
Emacs. At present I am testing from Read only media. I tried a network
drive and a flash drive, but ran out of time before I could see if
they worked.

I must stop for a time, but will return to this if someone else does not
see what the problem is.
-Poti