Re: distributing Octave in August

From: poti
Subject: Re: distributing Octave in August
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 18:44:50 -0400

On 16:51 Sat 16 Jun     , address@hidden wrote:

> > | If I can set this through an environment variable, it will solve my
> > | problem. Working through a startup file will be a little more
> >
> > It seems to me there must be some other solution since all this seems
> > to be doing is setting the prompt to something that will be recognized
> > by Emacs as a prompt.  And that is already supposed to be true (the
> > default is "octave:NN> " and I think octave-inf.el sends commands to
> > Octave to set it to "octave> ".  If that's not working, will someone
> > please try to debug why it is failing?
The above poster has provided the solution as follows, off list:

>Hello!
>
>I did a little experiment (I am working on a Mac, where run-octave
>works out-of-the-box).
>
>First, I add the following line to my .octaverc:
>
>PS1("\\s.exe:\\#> ");
>
>Now I have the same inital prompt as you have on Windows. When I try
>to do M-x run-octave emacs freezes just like it does for you. Then I
>go into octave-inf.el and change inferior-octave-prompt to read (just
>added "\\|.exe" in the right place):
>
>(defcustom inferior-octave-prompt
>
> "\\(^octave\\(\\|.bin\\|.exe\\)\\(-[.0-9]+\\)?\\(:[0-9]+\\)?\\|^debug\\|^\\)>+
>"
>  "Regexp to match prompts for the inferior Octave process."
>  :type 'regexp
>  :group 'octave-inferior)
>
>and byte-compile. After exiting and restarting Emacs, I now find that
>M-x run-octave works again. Perhaps this will have the same effect on
>Windows, and is the solution to your problem?
This did indeed solve the problem. I can include at least Windows
Octave to show how this environment can work.

The OSX version should be even more effective, since for my purposes,
hard coded paths in the packages should not be a problem since on OSX,
the DVD/removable media will mount at a more or less predictable place
/Volumes/MyDVD  subject to someone not already having an identically
named volume mounted there.

I will certainly do this after August, and will gladly look for space to
include it if someone points me to an already worked out way to get (just
the Unix style?) install done in a way that takes advantage, perhaps
(for space reasons), of
libraries I already use for R.