Re: GSoC - Octave code sharing

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: GSoC - Octave code sharing
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 12:47:02 -0700 (MST)

Ankit wrote
> On Tue 24 Apr, 2018, 8:43 PM Sahil, <

> yadavsahil5198@

> > wrote:
>
>> Hello All
>>
>> I've been selected as one of the GSoC student this year for the project
>> Octave Code Sharing. Thanks a lot to all the members of Octave community.
>> Special thanks to Kai T Ohulus, Doug Stewart, Ankit Raj and Nir Krakauer
>> for
>> believing in me even when there were a bit of conflicts about the project
>> choices. I will try my best to keep up with your expectations not only
>> during the GSoC period but also after it.
>>
>> May I get to know about how should we be proceeding now onwards, i.e, the
>> frequency and time of meetings, availability on IRC channel, any other
>> thing
>> which should be care taken of, etc.
>>
>> Again, thanks a lot for giving me the opportunity.
>>
>> Warm Regards
>> Sahil
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html
>>

> Good Luck Sahil

>From me as well Sahil!

To start I suggest you establish some kind of blog (at wordpress, blogger,
github pages, ...), see for example [1], and we send Jordi the link to
syndicate on our aggregator http://planet.octave.org/ .  In this blog you
should give at least once a week a short report about your progress to the
Octave community.  As initial post you might present your preliminary
timeline [2].

A second step would be to create some kind of public repository(ies), where
you regularly push your (~daily) code changes.  You can also mention this
location in your blog.  This makes it easier for other maintainers and me to
follow your progress and enables us to help if required.  I would recommend
Bitbucket (and SourceForge) as they support Mercurial.  When becoming an
Octave maintainer you should get used to Mercurial (but as you wrote on your
wiki user page, you are familiar with it anyway).

Regarding the communication: I try to be more online in IRC <siko1056>.  But
the best way to reach me, is by mail(ing list).  If you need help on a
particular topic, we can arrange a meeting in IRC.  We'll see in the first
weeks, how you get along with the task and if more communication (channels)
is required.

Wish you a great summer of code,

Kai

[1] https://gsocinterval.blogspot.de//edit