Re: GSoC - Octave code sharing

From: siko1056
Subject: Re: GSoC - Octave code sharing
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 13:56:41 -0700 (MST)

Sahil wrote
> Hi Kai
>
> I've read the various files that are of a concern to the project. I have a
> few questions/thoughts regarding the same:
>
> 1. We'll need to refactor the __publish_wiki_output__.m file. Is there any
> guidelines or should I  try to implement it analogous to what is written
> in
> __publish_html_output__.m, i.e, the various functions that are defined in
> the latter file? Also, the MediaWiki of wiki.octave.org is not able to
> render LaTex text properly (I had already changed the 'do_inlinemath' and
> 'do_blockmath' in the former file according to wikimedia guidelines)and
> gives the following error [1] whereas the same text appears without any
> problems when I try it on mediawiki.org. And the place for
> __publish_wiki_output__.m should be /scripts/miscellaneous/private, right?
> Also please tell if I am missing something in this part, like if there's a
> need to recheck the parser, etc.

I am responsible for the LaTeX rendering error and work out a solution
during this week.  The problem is, I upgraded the wiki installation and ever
since texvc is reluctant to do it's work [6].  But for now accept the wiki
output and we will do an integration test later on a test system (week 3-4
or so?).

The location /scripts/miscellaneous/private/__publish_wiki_output__.m is
good.  If you want to touch the parser (e.g. publish.m, a maybe toooooo
loooooong file ;-) ) go ahead and if your changes proof to be beneficial, we
can merge your improvements.

Sahil wrote
> 2. Do we need to identify our client [2] when interacting with the
> webserver
> (I believe yes) and if yes, what would be the client name?

Maybe this is new.  Last year I did not hit this item.  Good point for
investigation from your side and content for the blog.

Sahil wrote
> 3. $wgEnableAPI has been removed in MediaWiki version 1.32.0 [3]. Is this
> problem, because I'm unaware of our webserver's version of MediaWiki.

This is good news, for the upcoming releases: If you read the full story [7]
the api.php is now a builtin feature and no longer an opt-in feature of EACH
Mediawiki =) *hooray*

We are on 1.30.0 currently [8]

Sahil wrote
> 4. I'll be continuing with your implementation of libcurl_wrapper.cc and
> adding the option CURLOPT_COOKIEFILE, CURLOPT_COOKIEJAR for storing
> cookies
> for a session and the "ALL" command here [4] for deleting them. I'm
> assuming
> wikiLogin.sh [5] is complete in itself to get an idea of the components
> that
> need to be there in our wrapper. Also, will it be a problem if I put the
> file in libinterp/corefcn, DEFUN macros are compiled faster than DEFUN_DLD
> believe? I'll let you know more on this once I actually try to implement
> it.

This is a bit more delicate.   For the development, I think it is fine to
just use one path location in Octave's c++ tree (for example
libinterp/corefcn).  The story about DEFUN and DEFUN_DLD is that the latter
are dynamically loaded functions (.oct files) and the first ones are builtin
functions that are loaded when Octave starts.  When compiling DEFUN
functions, libinterp.so has to be linked again, whereas DEFUN_DLD just link
against all Octave libraries.  Try out both versions, but build time issues
should be neglectable, depending on your hardware.

Sahil wrote
> 5. Just for my knowledge, why aren't we using 'curl_multi' interface? We
> can
> have non-blocking transfer with it.

By just transferring some text (and maybe some images later) as a start, we
would not hit a performance barrier and can stick to the easy-interface.

Sahil wrote
> Any other advice is always welcomed.
> I'll first start refactoring __publish_wiki_output__.m and then come to
> wrapper in the next days.
>
> Thanks  & Regards
> Sahil
>
> [1]
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Manual:Troubleshooting_math_display_errors#.22Failed_to_parse_.28PNG_conversion_failed.3B_check_for_correct_installation_of_latex.2C_dvips.2C_gs.2C_and_convert.29.22
>
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Main_page#Identifying_your_client
>
> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableAPI
>
> [4] https://ec.haxx.se/libcurl-http-cookies.html#cookie-store-commands
>
> [5]