Re: GSoC - Octave code sharing

From: Sahil
Subject: Re: GSoC - Octave code sharing
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 03:54:37 -0700 (MST)

Hi Kai

I've read the various files that are of a concern to the project. I have a
few questions/thoughts regarding the same:

1. We'll need to refactor the __publish_wiki_output__.m file. Is there any
guidelines or should I  try to implement it analogous to what is written in
__publish_html_output__.m, i.e, the various functions that are defined in
the latter file? Also, the MediaWiki of wiki.octave.org is not able to
render LaTex text properly (I had already changed the 'do_inlinemath' and
'do_blockmath' in the former file according to wikimedia guidelines)and
gives the following error [1] whereas the same text appears without any
problems when I try it on mediawiki.org. And the place for
__publish_wiki_output__.m should be /scripts/miscellaneous/private, right?
Also please tell if I am missing something in this part, like if there's a
need to recheck the parser, etc.

2. Do we need to identify our client [2] when interacting with the webserver
(I believe yes) and if yes, what would be the client name?

3. $wgEnableAPI has been removed in MediaWiki version 1.32.0 [3]. Is this a
problem, because I'm unaware of our webserver's version of MediaWiki.

4. I'll be continuing with your implementation of libcurl_wrapper.cc and
adding the option CURLOPT_COOKIEFILE, CURLOPT_COOKIEJAR for storing cookies
for a session and the "ALL" command here [4] for deleting them. I'm assuming
wikiLogin.sh [5] is complete in itself to get an idea of the components that
need to be there in our wrapper. Also, will it be a problem if I put the
file in libinterp/corefcn, DEFUN macros are compiled faster than DEFUN_DLD I
believe? I'll let you know more on this once I actually try to implement it.

5. Just for my knowledge, why aren't we using 'curl_multi' interface? We can
have non-blocking transfer with it.

Any other advice is always welcomed.
I'll first start refactoring __publish_wiki_output__.m and then come to
wrapper in the next days.

Thanks  & Regards
Sahil

[1]
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Manual:Troubleshooting_math_display_errors#.22Failed_to_parse_.28PNG_conversion_failed.3B_check_for_correct_installation_of_latex.2C_dvips.2C_gs.2C_and_convert.29.22

[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Main_page#Identifying_your_client

[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgEnableAPI

[4] https://ec.haxx.se/libcurl-http-cookies.html#cookie-store-commands

[5] https://github.com/octave-de/OctConf2017/blob/master/demo2/wikiLogin.sh