Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: Redesign with responsive layout
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 12:50:13 +0200

On 27.08.2018 11:02, Alex wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 11:48 PM Julien Bect
> <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>
> wrote:
>
>     Le 27/08/2018 à 00:01, Oliver Heimlich a écrit :
>>     I have added a little more orange color for the code-snippets.
>>     Depending
>>     on your location, it might take up to 24h to deliver the new CSS
>>     through the CDN.
>
>     I can see it.   The extra touch of orange is nice, but I think that
>     currently it makes the text less readable (because of the white
>     background).  I would suggest a darker shade of orange and/or a
>     bolder font (and/or a slightly darker background).

The orange color is darker now.

>>     Do you have any ideas for colorful content that could be added to
>>     the home page?
>
>     Perhaps the sombrero could be in color ?  (But then I'm not sure
>     about the blue background, perhaps black would look nicer ?)
>
>     This is certainly more work, but we could have an additional section
>     between "Extra packages for GNU Octave" and "Installation" that
>     shows one or (a few) randomly selected package(s), with its (their)
>     colorful logo(s), and the link "browse the full list of packages" ?

This would require regular selection of a particular package with a
short presentation of its contents (“package of the month”).  I guess
that a random selection with no more information than is already present
on the package list was barely useful. Is someone willing to prepare
such a package showcase on a regular basis? Or should the package
maintainers prepare a more in-depth package description or quick tutorial?

>     Anyway, maybe that's just me, please don't change anything if I'm
>     the only one who finds the white & blue look a little cold...
>
>     Also, I find that the presentation with bullet points on Octave's
>     page (under "Scientific Programming Language") is catchier than the
>     block of text on Octave-Forge's page.
>
>     Perhaps something like (I have removed the verbs) :
>
>     * Central location for collaborative development of packages for GNU
>     Octave <https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/>.
>
>     * Expands Octave's core functionality by providing field specific
>     features via Octave's package system.
>
>     * Image and signal processing, fuzzy logic, instrument control, and
>     statistics... and more !  (browse the full list of packages
>     <https://octave.sourceforge.io/packages.php>).
>

> Looks good! Great work!
>
> I agree about the colors and breaking up the homepage text  into smaller
> paragraphs or bullets.
>
> One piece of colorful content you could add is a button linking to the
> main package list, incorporating the nice stacked cube icon.

The initial paragraph has been broken into bullet points and a colorful
image hopefully makes the welcome page more appealing. I have created an
image with the Octave logo and several scientific symbols around it to
visualize the various field specific packages on Octave Forge.

Oliver