Re: New very simple methodology to create a m-file compiler.

From: GoSim
Subject: Re: New very simple methodology to create a m-file compiler.
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 11:52:13 -0500 (CDT)

Carlo de Falco-2 wrote
>> Il giorno 07 mag 2019, alle ore 18:06, GoSim <

> GoSim@

> > ha scritto:
>>
>> The purpose is to make it possible to compile m-files for speed.
>
> just compiling m-code will not necessarily make it faster.
> to make compiled code faster you need to avoid all the overhead related to
> dynamic typing.
> if you force users to write sections of code that need to be faster
> without dynamic typing you are essentially asking them to use a different
> language.
> but if you need to use a language different from the standard Octave
> language in sections that are to be compiled, why not write them in C++ as
> .oct files then?
>
> c.

No, it's not another language. Just a few differences, and also I don't
agree that dynamic types are used often and removing it would equal a new
language. I never use it.
I think it would be much more user friendly and would attract more users.
M-script is a very nice language. I only program high level languages like
java and don't know C++. I don't think I am the only m-scripter like this.